In order to continue to help you see well, your eyeglasses need to be cleaned regularly. However, is it correct how you clean the lens? The proper way to clean eyeglass lenses can prevent the risk of scratches on the lenses, as well as extend their service life so you don’t have to bother going back and forth to the optics to change lenses.
How to clean eyeglasses lenses the right way
If you are a person who wears glasses everyday, whether prescription glasses or glasses for therapy, you are certainly aware that eyeglass lenses are easy to get dust, dirt, and even oil. This is certainly very disturbing, especially if your vision is very dependent on glasses.
Well, did you know that glasses are one of the easiest things to get bacteria on? Bacteria can gather in the sensitive parts of glasses, from the lenses, rods, to the nose of the glasses.
This was confirmed in a 2018 study from PLOS One. According to the study, glasses are one of the objects most contaminated with Staphylococcus bacteria.
Therefore, it is important to know how to clean and care for your glasses properly so that your eye health is always maintained. Taking good care of your glasses can also prevent damage to your glasses, so you don’t have to change your glasses too often.
Here are the tips you need to know in cleaning glasses:
1. Use a special liquid for cleaning eyeglasses
Cleaning glasses using a special liquid that you can buy at optics is the most appropriate step. Even so, the method must also be right in order to be truly useful.
How to clean eyeglass lenses with a special cleaning fluid is as follows:
First, rinse the eyeglass lenses with running water. If there is no source of clean water, spray a larger amount of eyeglass cleaner. The goal is that the dust that sticks can be rinsed.
Lightly shake your glasses to dry the water and check the cleanliness of the lenses.
Dry with a cotton cloth or you can also use a microfiber cloth that is widely sold in eyewear stores.
Don’t forget to clean your microfiber cloth regularly so that the dust on the cloth doesn’t scratch the lenses of your glasses.
Eyeglass cleaning fluid is available in various sizes that can be tailored to your needs. Therefore, it’s a good idea to provide several backups for various occasions.
You can provide large liquids for at home. You should also divide it into small bottles that you can keep in your bag when traveling.
Avoid using cotton swabs or alcohol swabs to clean the lenses of your glasses. Alcohol has the potential to loosen the glue holding the lens, and leave residue or residue on the lens surface.
2. Wash with soap and running water
How to clean eyeglass lenses using soap and water can be relied upon when you forget to bring a special eyeglass cleaner or are running out of it.
Here’s the steps:
- Wash your hands first thoroughly with soap to remove dust and foreign particles that can also scratch the lens of your glasses.
- Rinse eyeglass lenses under running water. Leave it for a while without rubbing. This step aims to rinse the fine dust on the surface of the lens.
- Pour 1 small drop of dish soap on the lenses for each lens.
- Gently rub both sides of the lens as well as the nose and hilt of the glasses.
- Rinse eyeglass lenses again under running water. Make sure that no soap remains on the lens.
- Shake the glasses gently to reduce the amount of water present then point the eyeglass lenses towards the light to ensure the cleanliness of the lenses. If there are still stains remaining, repeat the steps above.
- Dry the eyeglass lenses using a clean microfiber cloth to avoid scratches from the remaining small dust.
3. Bring the eyeglasses to the optician
You can also clean your glasses by taking them to the nearest optician, especially if you can’t clean certain parts of the glasses, such as the nose bridge.
Your glasses will be cleaned using an ultrasonic cleaner so that all parts of the glasses are properly accessible.
Store your eyeglasses properly after cleaning
After cleaning, always put the eyeglasses in the case when not in use. Apart from preventing damage to the glasses, it also helps to keep the lenses from getting scratched easily.
If you don’t have an eyeglass holder, make sure to always keep your eyeglasses in a safe place and don’t put them with the lenses facing down.
Those are various tips and how to clean and care for your glasses. Make the habit of cleaning glasses a part of your daily routine. Thus, the function of the glasses to see can be used optimally, and you keep yourself away from the risk of dangerous eye diseases.
Read More : 5 Easy Ways to Remove Ink Stains on Clothes